Youth Empowerment Program
Pre -Apprenticeship Program Model
"Know Before You Go"
How the Program Works
• This program was created for youth/young adults ages 17-19, that are in grades 11 & 12; that have low GPA’s, low to no credits, or that has disconnected mentally from the K-12 school system.
• The program was designed to re-engage students to not only receive their High School diploma through Adult & Community Education; but also achieve a multi pre-apprenticeship certification in the areas of HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Carpentry, and Welding. In addition to the multi-apprenticeship certification youth/young adults will earn additional certifications; OSHA, First Aid, Aerial Lift, and Forklift.
• The trades are in structured by Florida Training Services, Inc., which is a registered trade apprenticeship program approved by the State of Florida and the Department of Labor.
• Student(s) also receive an education stipend of $8.50/hourly stipend.
• Student(s) are paid bi-weekly based on attendance, behavior & participation
• Student(s) can either be referred by a parent, school, or advocate to the program. Student(s) will complete an application
• Students will sit for the committee interview for acceptance
• Upon acceptance youth/parent is notified, at which time student(s) will/should withdraw from the K-12 system and enroll in Adult & Community Education to study for the GED
• The program has a (5) component structure which is Education,
Construction Training, Leadership Development, Graduate Resources/recourses, and Counseling & Support Services.
• The program runs concurrent with the Palm Beach County School District calendar.
• Academic graduation will be held in May 2018
• Trade graduation will be held June 1st, 2018
• Student(s) will participate in academics Monday through Thursday 9:00am-12:00pm…located at Youth Empowerment
• Student(s) will participate in registered apprenticeship training Tuesday and Thursday 1:00pm-5:00pm….located at North Tech (student(s) are provided transportation)
• Student(s) participate in leadership training, mentoring groups, and civic activities on Friday’s from 9:00am-12:00pm…located at Youth Empowerment
ON THE JOB TRAINING
• Student(s) will be placed into a (3) month OJT position in June (after graduation)
• These OJT positions will be with trade business partners located throughout the community.
• Student(s) will receive a multi-apprenticeship certification in the following
areas ~ electrical, plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, welding.
In addition, student(s) will study to receive additional certifications in first
aid, OSHA, aerial lift and forklift.
Student(s) ~ Choices
• Student(s) making the decision to enter the workforce full time in a trade specific field will be linked to employment by Florida Training Services, Inc. (registered & approved by State of Florida & Department of Labor)
• Student(s) making the decision to further their education in apprenticeship, will be assisted by Florida Training Services, Inc. (registered & approved by State of Florida & Department of Labor)
• Student(s) having a desire to further their education into college/university will be provided assistance through Youth Empowerment i.e. ACT/SAT prep, college readiness, college admission tours, etc.
• Student(s) having a desire to join into the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines will be provided assistance through Youth Empowerment i.e. ASVAB tutorial, linked to a recruiter, etc.
Dispelling the Myths
• Student(s) receiving a High School Diploma through Adult & Community Education can enroll into a (4) year university/college.
• Student(s) receiving a High School Diploma through Adult & Community Education can enroll into Palm Beach State College.
• Student(s) receiving a High School Diploma through Adult & Community Education can enlist into the Armed Forces.
• Florida Training Services, Inc. is approved by the State of Florida and Department of Labor as a registered trade apprenticeship program.
Trade Salaries / August 2017
• HVAC (Heating/Ventilation/Air Condition) ~ up to $20.42 hourly
• Carpenter ~ up to $19.65 hourly
• Plumber ~ up to $13.45 hourly
• Electrician ~ up to $22.61 hourly
• Welder ~ up to $17.57 hourly
• Forklift Operator ~ up to $13.62 hourly
• Aerial Lift Operator ~ up to $ 15.00 hourly